Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pet-Peeves, You Gotta Love Em'



I recently did a poll asking my friends what their pet peeves were. Researching via friends is fun and a can be quite educational. For instance, if I hadn’t polled I never would have found myself reliving an OCD nightmare.

It started out innocently enough, the gang and I headed out to one of our favorite haunts, Red Robin. They make an excellent gluten free burger if anyone is interested. After my poll, however, the lovely clean restaurant was hiding my darkest nightmare. One of my fellow pet peevers had told me about her own peeve.

“I am totally grossed out by people who lick their fingers while eating. Especially if they sat down to eat without washing their hands. My stomach will flip if they double dip or pass condiments around. Eeeeeeew!”

After that, the innocent ketchup bottle was suspect. I looked over at my fellow patrons and watched and waited. Which one of them was going to lick their fingers? It destroyed my whole dining experience, I needed a Xanax!

I now realize just how susceptible I am to the power of suggestion. I have gone from one big pet-peeve, the toilet paper must face out, to lots of big pet-peeves. I am officially a classic pet-peeve adopter.

“Mine is peeling the label off product when you brought it home to use. I get a bit crazy when I see label on other folks cups or dishes, planters or pots, or even clothing that kids do these days ;{“

Don’t be surprised if when I come to your home for a dinner party, I’m checking for labels now that I am entirely aware of this peeve.

“lol. So sick of seeing that as the universal response to everything. Are they really laughing out loud? I doubt it.”

I’m not sure if I’ve quite adopted this pet-peeve, since I am the queen of its over-use, but I am now entirely over aware of it, lol.

“Also people who don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom. Just nasty.”

That one should just be general human decency, but since we all seem to have a difference of opinion on decency there are plenty of offenders out in the world.

“People chewing with their mouth open! Especially in a restaurant! Come out of your cave and join the rest of civilized humanity.”

I have begun to notice a pet-peeve theme here. Restaurants, cleanliness, and manners. I knew I had these friends for a reason! Chewing with the mouth open, snapping gum, slurping soup. These activities should be reserved for lazy evenings watching late night TV and never should be done in public.

“I really love when I'm bartending/serving and my customers wipe their nose, or bloody cut and then leave the napkin for me to clean up.”

Ugh, can you even imagine?? I work with tiny little children who know better than to wipe their snotty little noses without throwing away their used tissues. Hospitals have special bins for contamination. What are these drunk people thinking???

“People in the 10 items or less line with MORE than 10 items...people who park in a spot right in front of the grocery store even though it's not a spot, like they're so important...not wanting to cuddle after sex OR wanting to cuddle after sex (depending on mood/time) *just kidding*...when a cop pulls someone over and the cop stays entirely IN THE LANE blocking traffic...people who don't understand the personal bubble...men who leave the seat up after they pee in a coed bathroom...men who leave the seat down in a coed bathroom and pee all over the seat...”

Who can’t agree with those? I believe she covered all bases there. :)

“people on airplanes who don't put their seat in the upright position or put on their seat belts until the flight attendant has to personally tell them. And the people who talk through the safety briefing. And people who cant wait for their row to be called and have to be the first on and the first off”

The dreaded hideous airplane flight. Your legs are swollen, you just paid $75 dollars for peanuts, and the guy behind you is trying to run you over with his forty pound carry on. Remember the days when flying was glamorous?

“Pet peeves: none of the above. But how about simply no soap in bathrooms. U serious? Do i now have to touch the door handle? I wear cotton with no sleeves usually! Perpetually grossed out.”

I totally hear that one. Soap, that wonderful bubbly stuff that makes all the nasty go down the drain.

Pet-peeves, we all have them. Sometimes they can make us want to commit murder. They are our own special hell. Isn’t that fun? It seems that peeves really just come down to manners or some sticky labels.

Hope your day is peeve free, but I bet it won't be. :)

Thanks to all my guys and gals for the great pet-peeves. 

(Tiny writing? Is this anyone else's pet peeve, lol?)

No comments:

Post a Comment