Wednesday, July 3, 2013

My Fabulous Celebrity Dinner Party



Have you ever sat and pondered that age-old question? No, not the meaning of life, silly. A much more important question.  What famous celebrities you would have over for your own personal and spectacular dinner party? 

It could be practically anyone. Snooki? (Probably not, unless you were up for some extremely intense conversation on tanning and drinking games.) Or Charles Manson? (That choice would speak volumes about your twisted psyche.) No, really. Who would you choose?

Number one on my top ten list would have to be Oprah Winfrey. I know it’s cliche and she is most likely on pretty much everyone’s list, but how can she not be? The woman is amazing. She took a simple talk show platform and made it into an enlightening and thought-provoking hour of pure WOW. No other woman on the planet besides Meryl Streep (in numerous tear jerkers) has invoked in me as much sobbing. She’s taught me about other cultures, sex offenders, literature, and basic human kindness. She is a true treasure and I’m sure a fabulous dinner guest let alone a conversational mastermind.

Good old number two will have to go to Olivia Newton-John. I know that to anyone who knows me well this comes as no surprise. She has lit up my universe with her sweet voice and inner-glow my entire life. I love her! When I was little, I used to fantasize that she was my mother, which is crazy because I had a super great one. In my little girl fantasy we would roll up together in a big white rug like she did in one of her video montages and she would sing “Falling” to me. Besides being my childhood idol (I can’t tell you how many times my sister, friends and I reenacted scenes from Grease) she is a true humanitarian. I think that she and Oprah would keep the conversation rolling.

My third choice is a bit of a surprise, at least to me. I always liked her and thought her to be adorable, but it wasn’t until I read her book “A Lotus Flower Grows In The Mud” (quite a mouthful as far as titles go, I know, but who am I to judge?) that I recognized just how spectacular this woman is. Goldie Hawn is known for her super happy quirky personality, but when I read her book I realized that behind the fun vivacious love, she emanates a real depth of character and a strong sense of inner-peace. She seems to project pure love and any dinner table would be honored by her presence.

Number four is the spectacular self-professed drag queen, Ms. Dolly Parton. This is a sensational woman. Dolly exudes humor and warmth, something all of us should strive for. With out of this world hair and nails, not to mention that bosom (although I think I may have her out-boobed), Dolly even has her own theme park. Can you get cooler than that? She is southern charm and back home elegance and I cant wait to see what crazy ensemble Dolly will wear to dinner.

I realize that so far it’s just a room full of women. Where are the men? you might be wondering. Have no fear; my first man pick is here. The fifth guest, that studly vision of pure manhood is no other than Tim Gunn of Project Runway fame. I mean, who doesn’t love Tim Gunn? He’s the sweetest, most honest and best-dressed man alive. I’d trust him to hold my designer handbag containing 40 million dollars while simultaneously babysitting my infant and walking my dog. The latter of the two I am sure he would be most appalled to do, but that’s how trustworthy he seems. (I have no dog or infant BTW. Oh, or 40 mill or a designer handbag either.) In fact, maybe he could style all of us before dinner so that we all look simply “fabulous” and if anything went wrong with the meal Tim could just remind us to “make it work”.

Six, six, six, six, six......who to choose for number six? Well, it would just have to be Rosie O’Donnell! Could it be anyone else? That woman is funny, sincere; she does wonderful things for the world; and she loves Target. Rosie is one of the beautiful people, a strong woman who isn’t afraid to express herself or to apologize after. She’d probably beg you to let her hold your baby and walk your dog. I don’t think there is anyone with a bigger heart out there in showbiz land. She might even bring her own stash of home-made confetti to the party. I so enjoy her! 

Tori Spelling may seem like an odd choice for number seven, but she is my favorite fashionista. I just love what she’s done with her celebrity. This woman is no Paris Hilton, but she could have chosen to be. She hid her brains behind fart jokes and Donna Martin for years and then the mogul in her just had to come out. Tori is one crafty hardworking momma and I respect her work ethic. Besides being an awesome party guest, perhaps she wouldn’t mind helping me plan the event. With Tori on the job this dinner party couldn’t be anything but chic.

Sweet memories often need a little something to stir the pot and who could do that better than good old Alexander Rae Baldwin the III, better known to the world as Alec. Charming, wry, and never willing to take any smack from anyone, Mr. Baldwin could liven up any room. A quick wit and stellar sex appeal follow this man wherever he goes and if the paparazzi decided to ambush the festivities Alec could easily protect us all.

My ninth and tenth guests go hand in hand, at least since they were married in 1988. Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson appear to be the poster children for the happily married couple. Not to mention that they are both multi talented like all of my other illustrious dinner invitees and famous for being super wonderful human beings. Have you ever heard a bad word about Tom? Nope. Me either. And Rita is a songstress as well as an accomplished actress. I just can’t wait for the after-dinner singing with Rita, Goldie, Olivia and Dolly. And if anyone forgets the words, I’m sure that Rosie will be able to help them out.

So there you have it, my super-duper famously infamous dinner guest list. Now tell me. Who would you invite to yours?

2 comments: