Thursday, December 12, 2013

Duran Duran Forever!!



I got my first Duran Duran tape for Christmas when I was ten. It was Rio, and it was awesome. The magic of Duran Duran made that Christmas sparkly. I was in love.

Along with Duran Duran came a shiny new Sony Walkman. There couldn't have been anything better for me under that tree. That Walkman gave me the ability to have the lyrics of Simon Lebon in my head and that poetry was as intoxicating as it was sassy.

I remember wearing my best Duranie outfit, as I danced all over creation. The Walkman gave my generation the innate ability to tune out the rest of the world like nothing else before it ever had. And that Christmas, as I shimmied and shook my booty singing along with those British New Romantics I had my first taste of bratty independence.

I was hooked, and like most of the eighties' population I couldn't get enough Duran Duran. There were videos to stay up all night watching and movies to rent at blockbuster. Duran Duran in all their groupy euphoria. Hey, I wanted a "wristband" and anything else they wanted to sell me.

Of course we all had our favorites, but I loved Simon. Rodger was my second choice. Everyone was in love with John, and rightly so, he happens to be one of the prettiest faces to ever kill a bass. Nick was always too aloof for me, and Andy looked like he could be my brother. Nope, it was Simon of the pouty snarl and emotional vocal that won me over.

To this day I am still a die-hard Duranie. They are everything musical one could ask for, killer lyrics, catchy tunes, and the ballad that can still make a girl cry. 

So even now, all I want for Christmas is Duran Duran. They've been the best for 30 Christmases of my life and they aren't fading. If anything they are still just as bright and shiny as the day I first played them on my Sony Walkman. Duran Duran  forever!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment